Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Karl Marx is OK



It seems that Karl Marx may have actually really understood something with all that writing he did, in the shadow of the recent goings-on in the world's financial markets. One sour commentator writes;

It was inevitable, I suppose, that some of the so-called experts should turn to the philosopher-father of modern communism, Karl Marx, for elucidation as they pick through the wreckage of Western capitalism. After all, didn't the old boy spend most of his life writing big, fat books, such as the notoriously unread Das Kapital, predicting its demise?

In recent weeks, he has been flattered for his prescience, not only in foreseeing the downfall of capitalism, but in accurately identifying, more than 130 years ago, some of the fictitious financial instruments, such as collateralised debt obligations, that brought it undone. SMH


I have read The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte and that's about it for me and Marx. I do have some desire to read more....time is a problem as most of my time is spent working. Which I suppose is why I should read Marx.

No comments: