Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Could it ever happen again?



I remember when I was about 8 years old a great aunt of mine came back from London and gave me a (fake) gold razor blade on a chain. She said many colorful young people were wearing them in London. I also remember the fear in the air when this group of strange looking people came on TV around the same time. I realized later that it was the Sex Pistols. People in Australia, on the distant side of the globe from Denmark Street, were actually afraid of the Sex Pistols. I don't think there has been a group of musicians who have done that since.


Sex Pistols on the Today show, hosted by Bill Grundy, broadcast 1st December 1976.

Then around 1990 I discovered Public Image Limited. Art meets punk. I liked the Sex Pistols (I actually preferred The Clash), but Pil where poetic genius compared to the three chord assaults of the Pistols.


Part 1

Part 2.
John Lydon and Keith Levene from PIL piss off Tom Snyder.


Pil: Religion (Live in Tokyo)


PiL: Flowers of Romance


PiL: Public Image


PiL: Rise

And then today? What has become of the snarling voice of dissent and anarchy?


Did someone say 'butter'?

No comments: