Pages

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Animals and Humanity

The video shows a group of 38 chimps that had spent 30 years inside testing facilities in Austria being released into a safari park. After spending decades undergoing medical tests, including being injected with HIV and hepatitis, their amazement at finally being free is clear. The footage shows two adult chimps gazing out of their enclosure at the outside world. After taking a few steps, one chimp turns back, hugging another chimp and squealing with excitement. Clearly overjoyed, the animals almost appear to laugh.

"I refuse to eat animals because I cannot nourish myself by the sufferings and by the death of other creatures. I refuse to do so, because I suffered so painfully myself that I can feel the pains of others by recalling my own sufferings.I feel happy, nobody persecutes me; why should I persecute other beings or cause them to be persecuted? I feel happy, I am no prisoner, I am free; why should I cause other creatures to be made prisoners and thrown into jail? I feel happy, nobody harms me; why should I harm other creatures or have them harmed? I feel happy, nobody wounds me; nobody kills me; why should I wound or kill other creatures or cause them to be wounded or killed for my pleasure and convenience?(...) I think that men will be killed and tortured as long as animals are killed and tortured. So long there will be wars too. Because killing must be trained and perfected on smaller objects, morally and technically." Edgar Kupfer-Koberwitz Animals, My Brethren (written in the Concentration Camp Dachau, in the midst of all kinds of cruelties)

No comments: