Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Dirty Girls - Riot Grrrls 1996



Shot in 1996 and edited in 2000, this is a short documentary about a group of 13-year-old riot grrrls who were socially ostracized at school by their peers and upperclassmen. Everyone in the schoolyard held strong opinions about these so-called "dirty girls," and meanwhile the "dirty girls" themselves aimed to get their message across by distributing their zine across campus. Directed by Michael Lucid. Music: "Batmobile" by Liz Phair.

UPDATE: A follow-up interview with Amber and Harper has now been posted on Vice.com! Now you can see and read what they're up to! I'll also be shooting some video interviews with Amber and Harper in the next month or so, and posting them here as well. Thank you for the 147,000+ views!! Amber, Harper and I are so excited about this wonderful response to the documentary! xoxoxo

http://www.vice.com/read/i-talked-to-...

UPDATE: Thank you so much for the wonderful response to "Dirty Girls"! I am so happy that people are watching the short doc, and enjoying getting to know the "dirty girls." The #1 request I keep seeing in the comments is that people want to see an update on where the "dirty girls" are now, and what they're up to. I think I very likely will do this sometime very soon! In the meantime, I can tell you that all of the dirty girls are leading happy, healthy and creative adult lives, at least as far as I can tell from their Facebook photos. Amber left that school 1 year after I shot this documentary, and she was much happier at her new school, an arts high school in LA. I did shoot some follow-up footage with the girls in 2000, but I never used the footage. I may start a follow-up project by going back to the 2000 footage to make the first follow-up video! I'll keep you posted...

No comments: