Pages

Saturday, October 09, 2010

A Greek Meme

I showed this to some of my students today in order to illustrate what a meme is:


Zorba the Greek (originally titled Alexis Zorbas) is a 1964 film based on the novel Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.



"The Chooky Dancers" at the Ramingining Festival, East Arnhem Shire Australia on the 30th September 2007


Britain's Got Talent 2009, Stavros Flatley AKA Dimitri and Lagi

A meme (pronounced /ˈmiːm/, rhyming with "cream") is a unit of cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. (The etymology of the term relates to the Greek word μιμητισμός (/mɪmetɪsmos/) for "something imitated".) Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes, in that they self-replicate and respond to selective pressures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Moon
shines
on a cat

Meow

As a native Swede, I am particularly proud of my love poetry suite Sonnets for Katie.

My Poems

My wallpaper art Babes!

Sexuality introduces Death to Being; and indeed Life simultaneously. This is the profound Myth of the Eden. The work of the Serpent. Bringing us out of "blessed" Standstill. So, in contrast to the mindless pietism of vulgar Christianity, my personal "Christo-Satanism" should be given serious thought by the Enlightened Few, the Pneumatics, the 1% Outlaws. The Light Bringer must be rehabilitated, beacause if not, the All of it simply doesn't make sense: true Catholicism is necessarily Meta Catholicism.

My philosophy

My poetry in French:

Poétudes

My poetry in German:

Fremde Gedichte

My music blog, with a focus on obscure classical music no one else talks about:

Eutonal

And: reciprocity: for mutual benefit, you will do me a favor promoting your own blog on mine!

Yours,

- Peter Ingestad, Sweden

Anonymous said...

Smart post and so good blog
thanks for you good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog Ancient Greece Gods and more Ancient Greece Facts thanks again admin